Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Fun of Volunteering for a Musical at Orpheus

Did you know that every member of our productions, except those in the orchestra, is a volunteer? Why do they do it? Because they love it and enjoy the experience so much.  Here is a note from one of our Legally Blonde volunteers on her first experience as part of an Orpheus Show. We met Dominique and Navi at the Ottawa Humane Society's Wiggle Waggle Walkathon and we're sure glad we did!
 
Photo: Ecroyd Photography
"One of the best experiences I got to share with my dog was doing Legally Blonde, The  Musical with Orpheus Musical Theatre Society. I was just a handler to carry the princess (my dog Navi) around to her next scenes, but did I ever take so much more out of the experience. I got to meet some of the most passionate and talented people I know. Everyone was so caring and welcoming. Navi got to get an entire family of support and I also feel through her I made some great friendships. 

My eyes got opened to the vast world of musicals that I wasn't even aware was present in this town. Thank you for welcoming me to your team and thank you for loving and caring for my dog as if she was yours. This experience was one of a kind that not many people will get to do in their lifetime, so I am truly blessed and even more blessed to now know some of you wonderful people. I miss you all."
 Dominique Lalonde, owner of Navi who played "Bruiser" in Orpheus's production of Legally Blonde.


Volunteers are the basis for the success of Orpheus, which at 107 years young is the longest-running community musical theatre group in North America. With three major productions a year and various other activities, Orpheus is constantly seeking new volunteers to help prepare for a show or event and manage our beloved home, Orpheus House, at 17 Fairmont Avenue.

Typical Orpheus activities for volunteers include:
  • making costumes,
  • building sets,
  • painting scenery,
  • gathering props,
  • working on make-up and hair,
  • setting up wireless mics for the performers,
  • stage-managing and working backstage, 
  • piano accompaniment and 
  • assisting in the kitchen with many hospitality events. 

Orpheus also welcomes volunteers who can provide administrative assistance and participate in committees for archives, show selection, strategic planning and finance. Volunteers comprise our Board of Directors and Board of Trustees.


If you would like to become part of the Orpheus family and contribute to the onward development of the society, please contact our volunteer director at volunteer@orpheus-theatre.ca. Include your name, e-mail address, phone contact and areas of interest. We look forward to welcoming you to the Orpheus family of volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment